Sunday 1 June 2014

Realising Dreams

Tracks: A Woman's Solo Trek Across 1700 Miles of Australian Outback
I have been a long time reading this book on my kindle. While I understand it has never been out of print since first published in the late 1970's something about Robyn Davidson did not ring true. I found the last couple of chapters and the update at the end more realistic as she described her motivation, challenges, personal thoughts which emanated from both the experience and who she is far more interesting. A challenge for me, as a vision impaired person, is to travel the world solo. I fail to see anything spectacular in this and perhaps cannot understand the motivation behind dragging camels and a dog across the horrendous heat of the Australian desert. Possibly Robyn's later choices have made me a little cynical, but she seems to have done this journey for reasons I think she really fails to reveal. 
Our House is Certainly Not ...  

Having read Our House is not in Paris several months ago I felt Our House is Certainly not in Paris would be a wonderful sequel. I started this book today while devouring the first piece of corned beef I have eaten in 10 years and am already hooked on Susan Cutforth's second book. The romantic idea of two Australians having a country home in the Dordogne fascinates me. The first book was about the purchase and challenge of renovating a dilapidated home in a small French village. I can't wait to see what adventures await them as the house is finished and they can both begin to assimilate for several weeks each year into a quiet French lifestyle. 

I was fascinated to receive a text today from a friend on the Kapiti Coast who was off to the library. When I expressed doubt it would be open on Queen's Birthday she said it only closed three days a year. What a wonderful service for a community mostly made up of elderly people. 

Work looms again tomorrow. I am not sure my quiet weekend may have been detrimental to my sanity around too many hours of work. Possibly I should have gone further than the mall this weekend, but hopefully the rest will have given me a positive start to the week.    

No comments: