Saturday 21 June 2014

America

I finished Digging to America last night and it ended in a rather predictable way with the Iranian grandmother making a decision that she needed to accept America and Americans rather than continually railing against their mores. I suspect that many of us are anti-American having viewed their endless imposition of their values on a variety of nations from the Caribbean to Iraq. As a traveller I find their brusque loud manner rude and overbearing so could totally understand the themes of this book woven around refugees, adoption and inter-country misunderstandings.

 Saving the Queen 
Making a decision to open this book on my VRS at some ungodly hour may prove fortuitous. I doubt I have ever read a spy novel, certainly I cannot remember having done so. Blackford Oakes applies to join the CIA and with a mother living in London which provides adequate cover, he is sent to discover the source of a leak involving a Queen Caroline and the royal household. An ex-fighter pilot and Yale graduate, Oakes is debonair and intelligent. I hope this turns out to be as interesting a book as it appears in an hour or so of listening last night.

I am still reading Rushing Women's Syndrome  by Dr Libby Weaver. So much of this book fits my stressed out life which has come to a head of late. I am hoping to gain skills which will allow me to recognise when I am becoming stressed, over tired and beginning to burn out. Tired adrenal glands appear to be the source of many women's issues. 

Four days to relax and enjoy doing as little or as much as I choose is very precious. My arthritis is painful so walking and getting fresh air may be out of the question so I will have to garden or sit outside in the sun. Perhaps my next book will have to be about diet and exercise for sore joints, I just hope there is one for kindle or in large print.    

No comments: