Friday 27 June 2014

Friends or Otherwise

Friends come in many shapes and colours. Some remain friends, others cross boundaries into zones where they cause damage and lack the intuition to see the effects of their casual words. Last night I had to explain why I had not replied to another woman's texts. While she apologised for her words it is not enough as the damage she has caused with her ill-considered opinions and ignorant comments sent me escaping to friends of safety. We all need to consider that the old adage 'sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me' is completely untrue.

I have almost finished Saving the Queen  and given that there are apparently 7 books in the series it was safe to assume that Oakes would survive the dog fight over London and live to fly under the CIA's command for another day. One of the fun things about talking books is the lack of influence a cover brings, a genre imposes or a review suggests. Many of my choices are a lucky dip gleaned from short reviews sent out each week to members of the RNZFB's library. I scour these emails and when short of good books also trawl the online catalogue. I like to have a selection of books to choose from on my VRS, just like any fully sighted person.
 Three Poets of the First World War 
I am always fascinated to see the cover of the book I have in front of me appear replicated on the screen. The wonders of technology. I purchased this book along with others at the British War Museum in London two years ago. I have just begun searching it for poems which reflect the agony and wastefulness of war. With events marking the beginning of WW1 now occurring in France and Belgium, plans are well organised to mark the disaster that was ANZAC Cove, Gallipoli in 1915. War is so unnecessary and brings tragedy to lives far removed from its theatre. A poem a night is often all I can tolerate, reflection is paramount.  

No comments: