Monday 20 January 2014

Chatting

Conversation with intelligent people is so satisfying. This morning I invited a neighbour over to help me re-hang a picture which fell off the wall a few days ago. A coffee, tea and two hours of conversation later about news, books, psychology, family dynamics and life with oneself we parted to have lunch. Interactions like this are rare today but as a result I have a new book, Focus, by Daniel Goleman to purchase for my Kindle.

Today I also parted with a 30 year old photocopier I bought to help me with my studies. The print in many books was too small, increasingly so as my sight deteriorated and I moved towards a Masters degree. Enlargement of everything was very important and allowed me access to documents in tiny fonts. The copier had stopped working, jammed, or spilt ink over everything so I rang Minolta and asked them to take it away. I now have some free space and an deciding where to put the empty desk. Life moves on and no one would have any use for a black and white photocopier when there are such amazing copy shops everywhere.

My reading has changed little, I have devoured several old NZ Listeners but I am entranced by The Fourth Estate and am enjoying the parallel stories. I spent much of the afternoon yesterday with a friend who also loves books of many genres and she, like me, has spent most of the summer with her nose in a book. I also love decorating magazines, cooking magazines and those describing the alternative and smallholders lifestyle. A far cry from the Jack and Jill magazines my mother used to order from the bookshop at Davies Corner.  

A whole new world of books beckons this year, my friends and neighbours will be my guide to those I do not source from my usual VRS books or the Kindle store.    

No comments: