Saturday 4 January 2014

Dreams

I have spent much of this extended summer holiday reading, dreaming and planning. Once again I stand at a crossroads wondering which way to turn. Almost ten years ago I left my marriage of 31 years and began a new life which has given me freedoms previously unknown. I need a new challenge and days of writing down ideas always brings me back to the same solutions previously cast aside.

Inspired by a book given to me as a christmas gift by a dear friend at work I am stopping to enjoy the silence and my own company. Solitude can be very healing. My Heart Wanders, A celebration of taking risks, letting go and making a home wherever you are by Pia Jane Bijkerk www.piajanebijkerk.com is a book of stunning photographs, quotes, poems and her journey from Sydney to a new life in Paris and Amsterdam. Pia took a risk leaving a career and a life in Australia to start anew with a Parisian she barely knew. It is one of those books we mull over, think about, gasp at the illustrations and wonder at the intuitive decision to give this to me as I explore my life decisions once again. Treasured it will be, dog eared it may become, this gift is exploding in my soul.

Visitors will arrive for lunch today. Ron is blind and like me loves books, podcasts and listening to the radio. He has not yet purchased a Kindle and finds his reading of free books from the Foundation a little restricted. He buys books from Audible.com and resists the knowledge that he is possibly spending money he does not need to. Worlds of print are now accessible to those of us who are blind or vision impaired but we need to use it or our years of campaigning to have equal access to printed matter will be of no accord.

My guide dog is hot and resistant to working, my retired dog tired yet happy. Every time I woke in the night I turned on my machine and listened to a wonderful podcast interview with Bill Bryson. I must see what the Blind Foundation library has of his books that I could read.  

No comments: