Monday 13 January 2014

Truth

"Don't let my body tell me what I can do". I heard this wonderful quote on TV last night from an African American who, despite being on dialysis, was working full time and giving so much of himself to friends, family and work colleagues. As our bodies age we tend to fall into line with the restrictions on our life but perhaps this man has a very valid point in that we should ignore the aches, pains, poor sight and other ageing processes and just continue to live life to the fullest.

I love quotes. Every day I put a 'thought of the day' on my Facebook site along with a place of the day, somewhere I have travelled in Europe over the last 7 years or in NZ or Australia other times in my life. Since I started doing this other Facebook friends have also posted quotes and interesting stories and videos so in a very small way I am attempting to make a difference and bring about change in people's lives.

 Hotels, Hospitals, and Jails: A Memoir
I started reading this book last night on my VRS. While I have only read it for about an hour it is teaching me much about memoir writing. Truth, as the author sees it, is far removed from my experience and life truths. His preoccupation with sexual encounters will, I hope, fade as he explores more of his ex-marine life and experiences coming to terms with the violence and anger of being an American military man.

I finished Stolen Innocence yesterday and after checking the Sally Clark website I emailed the address listed. This morning I received a lovely reply from Sue and a reassurance that the family has moved forward. I was not sure if I would get a reply so was thrilled. It has led me to think about SIDS, child violence here in NZ and how we view family rights and the law.

No comments: