Saturday 11 January 2014

Still Stymied

My arm is still sore and trying to type makes it worse, plus my clumsiness makes it difficult to touch the correct keys. Not only is this preventing me writing but it also makes it difficult to work with any form of speed.

Yesterday I had several visitors, one of whom is, like me, unusual in her thinking and values. We enjoyed a nice wine, cheese, grapes and  crackers and hopefully will meet once a month. Like me she is also struggling with past issues which have impacted on our present and together we compare and analyse not only our thoughts but our dreams for the future.

Yesterday I also finished  The Lost Child of Philomena Lee and was left wondering why it bore little resemblance to the movie which moved me so deeply and passionately. Most of the book is the story of Michael Hess or previously Anthony Lee, his homosexual debauchery, relationships with loving caring men he then destroyed due to the thoughts many of us who are adopted experience, and his rise in Republican politics. The movie is sourced from the final chapter and epilogue which I find sad but wonder how the story of a gay adopted man would be a box office hit in any country, particularly Ireland.
Forty-Something Phoenix: A Travel Memoir
I have now started the above book on my Kindle and am loving her memoir of travelling alone. As this has been my experience, visiting countries where I am unable to speak the language, staying in places I am not entirely sure are safe and meeting people in fleeting ways which one hopes may lead to friendship or perhaps even more. I will write more about this book as I read it over the next couple of days. The author has also written a book of hints for those who also wish to write a travel memoir which I have just downloaded.     

No comments: