Saturday 25 January 2014

Revelry

Neighbours can be a huge problem but last night I held a drinks and nibbles at 5 at my home and we had a wonderful time. Seeing one, aged 87, get very under the weather and start talking about 'Spacebook' was hilarious, particularly when I suggested that Twitter may be more appropriate to the drunken revelry of a group ranging in age from late 40's to over 90!

I have just finished reading It Rains in February and am still stunned at the family acceptance of the inevitability of suicide. I am unsure of the moral issues around his wife setting up an email account and pretending to be a caring 'other person' in Britain. Perhaps as I mull over the issues involved and relate it to my own experiences I may feel less critical of the author. Somehow, despite her frank and well written memoir I am distressed by inaction. Now I need to decide which Kindle book to devour next as I continue with The Fourth Estate, often turning it on when unable to sleep and then missing bits before it turns itself off.

Hints and tips on blogging are useful but the book I am reading fails to explain where one does these adjustments on the blogging website. I spent ages yesterday trying to access some of their suggestions, all to no avail. Tech savvy people have no issues with these websites, but those of us with a moderate knowledge struggle.

I received an email this morning offering me books at a reduced price on ibooks by New Zealand authors considered icons. Most are serious well written novels in which I have little interest or are already movies. The growth of the Kindle and ibook market must be making the sale of these books more difficult given NZ authors were very reluctant to allow their books to be sold as e-books due to copyright and other issues. I assume their attitudes are changing as The  Luminaries   was readily available online before easy access in traditional bookshops.

No comments: