Sunday 12 January 2014

Time to Read

Enforced time at home to heal has meant reading at a level and speed unknown to me for a long time. I spent several winters in bed as a teenager with the effects of nephritis and devoured every book I could lay my hands on. A weekly visit to the Doctor for tests brought with it the joy of a visit to the library to borrow another 15-20 books. I seemed to eat them, probably the basis for my wonderful general knowledge which so annoys people today. I always have several books on the go at once, a talking book, I have just this minute finished  Stolen Innocence by John Batt and was devastated to read on Sally's website that the experience overwhelmed her and she died of acute alcohol poisoning. I instantly deleted the book and have just opened the next one. I  am still reading Forty-Something Phoenix on my Kindle and have two actual books on the go also.

Media of Street Fight in NaplesA wonderful friend gave me Street Fight in Naples for my birthday two years ago. To my shame I thought it was a novel and relegated it to the "I will read one day" pile. Desperate for something different with reasonable sized print I looked at the sub-title; A book of art and insurrection. Written with the extensive help of Italian and other archivists, the reason she gave me the book as a gift, it seems, after reading only a few pages, to be the history of the city of Naples. This thoughtful gift has been gathering dust and could have been a much loved book by now. I do have one query, why are the covers shown on websites so different from those of the books which sit here beside me as I write.

As for travel; I have recently been told about a website called www.airbnb.com on which people list accommodation available in their homes. After several years of international travel I am truly surprised that I have never heard of this website before. Now if only I could figure out where the suburbs are in Brisbane so I could make a booking!  

No comments: