Sunday 19 January 2014

Lazy Days

Lazy Sunday's have become part of my lifestyle. After lunch I nap and dream of what I may read later in the afternoon and during the coming week. Yesterday was no different as the heat and humidity made slow swirls around the afternoon peace and I descended into a light sleep. A visit to the library on Friday elicited a very interesting book about decorated journals. While the ones in the book look very professional and exciting I am tempted to try making one of some of my travels.
The Complete Decorated Journal: A Compendium of Journaling Techniques

I pored over the book most of the afternoon like waiting for a delicious cream cake at a cafe. Checking online I found several shops selling beautiful but expensive journals in which I would fear making a mistake. Several weeks ago Kirsty Allsop - the Honourable Kirsty I believe - showed viewers how to make journals. While this is beyond me given my sight I may be able to find a website which sells homemade journals. I have seen them in a craft shop somewhere but cannot remember where. I will devour more of the book before making a decision but often feel that my travel mementos are shut away in boxes where I can no longer enjoy them.
I always thought journaling was a handwritten version of blogs, the ones in this book are works of art!




I started a new talking book yesterday, The Fourth Estate by Jeffrey Archer.
The Fourth Estate

I had never read his novels until recently when i read Sons of Fortune about a set of twins who were separated at birth. This gripping tale was all the encouragement I needed to order two more of his books from the RNZFB talking book library. The Fourth Estate is the story of two media barons and their contrasting backgrounds and lifestyles. The necessity of making choices from a reduced number of books available as talking books has meant i have worked outside the square and are able to make choices of books I would previously never have considered.
    

No comments: