Wednesday 29 January 2014

WOF Test

Guide dog handlers will know what the WOF test is. I am waiting for a new instructor to arrive so I can do my test for her. Hopefully Jay and I will be issued with our WOF for another 12 months and will not have to undergo any further training.

Self published books on Kindle are a real lucky dip. I am a third through The Wander Year and I am beginning to wonder how it managed to get published. So many of these travel stories are written in a very basic style, we went here, we went there, we did this, we did that. This book lacks any real focus other than a couple travelling the world together for a year in their forties. I will continue to read it but wonder why it was one of the more expensive travel books I have purchased for my Kindle. 
 Winnie-the-Pooh  
My children loved Winnie the Pooh and I have a very old and battered copy. Several years ago I bought a new copy which included all the AA Milne books. Last summer I was stunned to discover my 10 year old grandchildren did not know who Winnie was. My son made me read the book and then read it again when he was young. I bought all the books and a large stuffed toy which I recently gave to a lovely young woman of 21 who still idolises Winnie and whose room is filled with his memorabilia. A wonderful book to read, re-read and enjoy as an adult, particularly if it has those wonderful pen and ink drawings in black and white. When I stood outside Buckingham Palace in 2007 I kept repeating Christopher Robin's poem.

I love quotes and include at least one daily on my Facebook page. Here is a wonderful quote - "In books I have travelled, not only to other worlds, but into my own" - Anna Quindlen    

No comments: